Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Week 17 - Almost the End!

Hey friends,
It dawned on me today that my share is almost over for the year!  I can hardly believe it!  To be honest, it's kind of sad.  I've had a great time learning how to cook new things and I hope I can keep the momentum going during the winter time.  I think this little experiment has given me a lot of confidence in the kitchen and if/when I try out any new exciting dishes, I'll try to share them with you.  In fact - I went apple picking over the weekend and was asked specifically to post the outcome of my future apple pie so look for that soon!

Before I go over what came in the share this week, I wanted to update you on a recipe reboot!  I got a few green tomatoes in my share awhile back and I decided I would go back and retry my Fried Green Tomatoes and bake them in the oven instead of my failed experiment trying to fry them in a pan.  YOU GUYS - THEY WERE GREAT!  I followed the recipe the same way it was written, but baked them in a glass dish for 20 minutes (flipping half way through) at 350 degrees.  So there you go - baked green tomatoes are fantastic.

This week my share included:

  • Cilantro
  • Jalapeno Peppers
  • Sugar Pumpkin
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Tatsoi
  • Tomatoes
  • Turnip Greens (in the bag)


Perhaps the saddest part of the end of my share is that it means the end of my veggie people.  I know they're completely ridiculous and silly, but I love making them and it gives people (my coworkers especially) a little laugh every Wednesday.  Anyway, this week I couldn't help but choose the Sugar Pumpkin.  I was really excited about it...until I realized that there's nothing NEW about putting a face on a pumpkin!  People do it every October so I would need to do something really different to make it worthwhile.  So here's my fun take - Peter Pumpkin!





                

No comments:

Post a Comment