Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Feeling Confident for Week 2!


          

Hi Friends!  Thanks for being a part of this journey through my CSA with me!  I hope, if nothing else, you've found some cool recipes to make at home by taking a look at my posts.  Remember you can find them all on my Pinterest page.

As I mentioned when I first began, one of my goals was to use as much of my CSA as possible each week so food wouldn't be wasted or go bad.  I am very happy to report that the majority of the greens from Week 1 have been used!  The carryovers are the garlic scapes (more on them later), lemon balm (still trying to figure out exactly what to do with that) and the oregano (which I plan on drying and preserving this weekend).  Everything else has been used in fabulous and delicious ways.

I was so excited to keep the momentum going this week that I dropped by my office on a vacation day just to pick up my share!

The share this week included:
  • Beets
    (No Bears/Battlestar Galactica)
  • Broccoli
  • Collard Greens
  • Garlic Scapes
  • Swiss Chard
  • Turnips
  • Watercress



I was really happy to see more broccoli this week since it's one of my favorite veggies and can be used in a ton of different ways.  It also stores pretty well so I know I can hold onto it for a few days without worrying about it wilting or going bad.  I was a little less excited about the turnips and watercress since I'm not entirely sure what to do with them.  I've roasted turnips in the past, but they were much bigger than the ones that I got today.  I know watercress is supposed to be lovely in tea sandwiches, but aside from that I'm at a loss.  My cat Pinkerton, however, thought the watercress was delicious so after making sure it was safe for cats we let him nibble on a few leaves as a treat.

My little (or not so little) furball was particularly interested in all the greens I brought into the house today and patrolled the kitchen counter, sniffing and assessing each item.  He was particularly partial to the swiss chard (as you can see in this photo), so I decided that would be the featured green in my meal of the night, which I'll post about tomorrow.  Pinkerton's adopted brother, Yoda, was considerably less interested in the share.

A note about Garlic Scapes: I only had about 2 scapes from the first week of my share.  As you can see in this picture of Chef Pinkerton, I got quite a few more this week.  I've decided to make a garlic scape pesto over the weekend, which will use all of the scapes from weeks 1 and 2 so look for that soon!

Veggie Person of the Week

After taking a good look at my items I selected the next addition to the veggie people family - Meet Bobby Beet-nic!



All of my veggie people are available to adore on Instagram!

Be on the lookout tomorrow for my first recipe post of the week - Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Tart with Sharp White Cheddar Cheese!  Trust me...you'll want to file this one away for future reference!



No comments:

Post a Comment