Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Back Story

Hi! I'm Lori...and I cannot cook.  So why did I sign up for a CSA? 
Here's the background!

In April 2012, I began working in communications at a wonderful non-profit in Boston, MA called Victory Programs, that provides housing and health services for people struggling with homelessness, drug and alcohol addiction, mental illness, and chronic illnesses like HIV/AIDS.  One of my favorite program sites (we have 17!) is ReVision Urban Farm, a one-acre farm in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood across the street from one of our shelter programs.

Volunteering at ReVision Urban Farm!
ReVision Urban Farm began as a small plot of grass alongside ReVision Family Home, a residential shelter for pregnant and parenting women.  The women had a hard time accessing fresh vegetables since there were few options for grocers in the area (what I now know is called a food desert) so they decided to grow their own.  In 2005 Victory Programs took over control of the shelter and began to expand and invest in the farm.  In 2011-12 a new year-round greenhouse was installed along with a new retaining wall, gazebo, and amphitheater to accommodate volunteer group trainings.  In 2012, ReVision Urban Farm was selected by the City of Boston's Department of Neighborhood Development to pilot a new urban agriculture program that provided us with a brand new lot to farm on, bringing our land to alllllmost a full acre.

ReVision Urban Farm, working in partnership with the Trustees of Reservations' Powiset Farm, offers a CSA program.  That's right - for the entire growing season (June-October) I had the opportunity to support an amazing urban agriculture program and have delicious fresh veggies delivered to my office every week.  How could I resist!?
ReVision Urban Farm

I participated in the CSA in 2012 and for awhile my boyfriend (the primary cook) and I (the primary dishwasher) made the most of it.  Then in late July his schedule changed and he wasn't home as often to make his delicious food and I was left to fend for myself.  It was NOT pretty.  I ended up giving a lot of my share away and watched as too much of it went bad. :( 

For that reason I almost didn't re-up for the program this year, but then I thought better of it.  "YOU CAN DO THIS!" I told myself.  After all if Ratatouille had taught us anything it's that "Anyone can cook."  Let's hope that fat French chef was right!

My CSA comes every Wednesday (starting June 12) and I'll update my blog to let you know what goodies came in and we'll see how well I can cook my way through the collard greens, kale, beets, potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes and more!

Oh!  I almost forgot one VERY important piece of the blog puzzle.  During last season I started a tradition where I would take one tasty item from my weekly share and turn it into a veggie person.  It was a big hit in the office so I'll share them with you here as well.  Here's the family from 2012 (note: the avocado was NOT in my share, but he was what started the trend so I had to include him).

Victory Programs - Facebook & Twitter     *     ReVision Urban Farm - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment