Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Challenges for Week 3

        
Hi friends! 

You wouldn’t believe how behind I am in my blogging!  The good news is that I’ve been using EVERYTHING (save that blasted lemon balm) from my CSA shares…the bad news is I am up so late cooking I have no energy to write my entries. 

I am going to get to my weekly CSA inventory and Veggie Person today to keep on schedule, but I’ll be working on a big entry to cover some of the smaller dishes I’ve made over the past few days including Garlic Scape and White Bean Dip, Broccoli and Cheddar Cornbread, and a simple Beet and Tomato Salad.  I’ve also roasted some turnips and sauteed collards and beet greens, but they were simple cooks and probably not worth going into great detail.  I am particularly excited to share the cornbread recipe since I combined two recipes into one with great success!!!

Now onto more timely things! 

I have to tell you, the share from ReVision Urban Farm this year has been nothing short of fantastic.  The variety is heads and tails above where it was last season.  If you feel at all inspired to participate in their awesome share program, you can click here to fill out a form or call 617-822-FARM (3276).  And yes, the cost of the season share will be prorated.


The share this week included:

  • Beets
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Garlic Scapes
  • Kohlrabi

You guys should SEE the bunch of broccoli from this week’s share!  This photo doesn't do it justice.  It’s probably the size of my head.  When I saw it I joked that it would make the perfect bridal bouquet for a farm themed wedding.

I have never heard of…or seen kohlrabi before.  It’s such a crazy looking vegetable, but apparently it is very popular in CSA programs and urban farms. Check out this great article from TIME magazine to learn more about this super healthy, delicious sounding alien veggie. 

You might assume I chose the kohlrabi for my veggie person this week since it’s such a unique specimen, but I couldn’t resist the little head of cabbage.  I am considering making it a two veggie person week, but for now I present to you Cruella Cabbage!




Note: My phone isn’t new enough to support Instagram’s new video feature sooooo I’ll be sticking with Vine video until they make the update available for oldsters like me!  You can, however, follow my regular pictures on Instagram here.

No comments:

Post a Comment