Thursday, July 11, 2013

I WILL Eat Green Eggs & Ham!

Before heading in to my newest creation, I wanted to share a great article from the Dorchester Reporter about farmers markets in Dorchester and Mattapan, highlighting Victory Programs' ReVision Urban Farm!

One of my colleagues also gets a share and we like to chat about what we've made or are going to make throughout the week.  While looking through our box of share goodies on Wednesday she mentioned a recipe she found through Martha Stewart's website for a Green Eggs and Ham Omelet that sounded yummy, easy and fun.  Anyone who enjoys this meal at home can give a shout out to Cristina for sharing it with me! 

I also decided to roast some of the veggies I had in my arsenal - potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips, and my kohlrabi.  I chopped them into chunks, mixed them with olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese, placed them on a foil covered baking sheet and cooked at 350 degrees until I felt they were done.

The "green" in the omelet was cooked swiss chard (the recipe calls for spinach, but I just switched them out).  Cut out the stems of the chard and slice into ribbons (enough for 2 cups), pop them into a saute pan with some water and cook until wilted. 

Here's the only tricky part (and it's not that tricky) - once the greens are wilted you put them in a colander and strain out as much water as you can.  There's a lot of moister in those greens!  I did the best I could, pressing the chard and trying to squeeze out as much water as possible before chopping it up.  Although the end result of my omelet was fantastic I would try to get a little more water out the next time around.

Once you chop up the greens, mix them in with the eggs, salt and pepper and pour the mixture into a small pan.*  Once the bottom of the omelet gets sturdy enough you'll want to use a spatula to pry up half of the omelet and tip the pan, allowing the uncooked egg on top to dribble down into the bottom of the pan to cook.

Add some shredded cheese and a few slices of thin cut deli ham onto the middle of the egg mixture and fold in half.  Continue to cook the omelet, flipping occasionally, until done.




The Results!

The flavor in this omelet is incredible and it paired really nicely with the roasted vegetables making a great "breakfast for dinner" meal.  I think swiss chard may be one of my favorite greens - the flavor is really amazing proving that the yumminess of my previous sweet potato and swiss chard quiche was not a lucky surprise.  I have a little of the chard left and am going to try a swiss chard garlic bread recipe I unearthed today so stay tuned for that!

Happy cooking everyone!

* Yes, I purchased a new pan!  When I first moved into my apartment  (6 years ago) I purchased an inexpensive set of pans from the Christmas Tree Shop and never looked back.  A few months ago, the handle on the small fry pan broke and we never got around to replacing it.  I decided that this recipe wouldn't work in a larger pan so I bought a new one.  I'm also wildly self conscious about how old all my kitchen equipment is now that they're being photographed and posted publicly.  Don't judge my dingy baking sheets please!  I feel inspired to replace some of the sadder items as the season goes on!


No comments:

Post a Comment