Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Week 4 - Things Are Piling Up!

          

Hi friends!  As you can probably tell from the title of this post I've reached a backlog in my veggies!  I had hoped to eat all of the items from my share each week without any carrying over, but it doesn't seem to be working the way I had planned (ain't that just like life!).  I'm also afraid my hectic week means the second Veggie Person I had promised never came.  I know you're disappointed, but I'm going to try to make it up to you with a very special Veggie Person today.

Currently in my fridge are carryovers from last week - kohlrabi, carrots and garlic scapes.  The oregano is being dried out for use later and I used the broccoli for a repeat of homemade hop pockets per my boyfriend's request.  The garlic scapes are biding time until I purchase a food processor (next week) when I intend to make garlic scape pesto.  I also plan on making a kohlrabi and carrot salad as soon as I can!

This week the share includes:
  • Bok Choy
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Chives
  • Collards
  • Fennel
  • Hakurei turnips
  • Mustard greens
  • Tarragon

The tarragon and chives came in a pretty tiny bundle.  I've got the tarragon drying out alongside the oregano from last week and will probably use the few chives with a baked potato during the week.

I have some great plans for my share this week including two different tarts.  As for the bok choy, turnips and mustard greens...those are going to take a little more research!  With the 4th of July tomorrow and a cookout scheduled on Friday, I probably won't be able to tackle my next meal until Saturday, but you know I'll post it as soon as I can!

Speaking of the 4th of July, when I was scouring my share for this week's Veggie Person I knew I wanted to have some red, white and blue fun.  I was hoping to do a cute play on words - Liberty Lettuce or Uncle Sam Scalion, but as you can see from the share list above, patriot alliteration wasn't meant to be.  I'd have to be more creative.

My colleague was the inspiration for Candie Carrot.  She really saw something in her wild carrot hair and sweeping greens (perhaps a feathery dress, she suggested), but it would be up to me to make it work.




I think you'll all agree she came out just perfect!  I've added a longer view of Candie Carrot here as well so you can really see how the greens made the most perfect beauty queen gown!

No comments:

Post a Comment