Thursday, August 15, 2013

Week 10 - Who's getting hungry?

Hi friends!  Sorry about the week-long hiatus.  Between a very hectic schedule and a loss of appetite I'm afraid I not only neglected this blog, but I also neglected my share.

Unfortunately, my breakup had more casualties than just me and my (now ex) boyfriend.  I finally cleaned out the untouched refrigerator last night and was sad to have to throw away some amazing share items including several cucumbers, my awesome yellow carrots, a few beets and various greens.  It really bummed me out to see such amazing food go to waste and I am going to do my best to make sure that doesn't happen again this season.

Before I breakdown my share from this week (which I am very excited about, by the way) I have to tell you about one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten.  I was in Kansas City over the weekend to visit family (love you Caity & Jim!) and took in a Sox/Royals game at Kauffman Stadium where I had the pleasure of consuming THIS:
It is called the All-Star BBQ Hot Dog and it's covered in pulled pork, cole slaw, BBQ sauce, and pickles.  It was amazing and have wanted another one ever since! 

Now on to more healthy dining options  ::sigh::

This week my share includes:

  • Cilantro
  • Cucumbers
  • Green Peppers (I only got one but that's ok)
  • Purple Beauty Peppers (so cool, guys)
  • Summer Squash
  • Sweet Potato Greens
  • Swiss Chard
  • Tomatoes (Finally!)

I am so excited about this week because I love squash and still have the green squash from last week so I suspect I'll be able to make something pretty lovely with them.  Feels appropriate since the feel of fall is in the air each morning now that it's mid-August.

I can't wait to eat the tomatoes because there's just nothing as lovely as freshly grown tomatoes!

I have never even seen a purple pepper before, but they're gorgeous and smell really good.  Looking forward to doing some research to see the best way to prepare them.  I'm glad there are a handful of them so I can try them at least two different ways.

It might still be a few days before I get back into the kitchen because my crazy schedule doesn't show signs of stopping until Sunday evening, but my appetite is back in full force and I am excited to get cooking again and sharing my continued culinary adventures with you all once again :)

Now it's time for the Veggie Person of the Week!  I introduce you to Saul Squash and his son Simon.  Simon's having a tough day and Saul is a little frazzled.  It's ok, guys.  It's all gonna be ok.




           

1 comment:

  1. Purple peppers are a really mild bell pepper. I think they make a great stuffed pepper :)

    ReplyDelete