Thursday, August 1, 2013

Week 8 - So Many Cucumbers!

Sorry I am a little late with my Wednesday post, but yesterday was my mom's birthday and celebrating the best lady in the world took precedent!  My family had a great dinner at Bronwyn in Somerville's Union Square and for the first time since starting this blog had a meal that was almost devoid of vegetables.  Homemade soft pretzels, pierogi and a giant platter of assorted bratwurst made for a pretty kickass meal!

Getting together with my family, particularly my brother and his girlfriend, also gave me the opportunity to find a loving home for some of the week-old share items that were likely to go bad in my refrigerator before I was able to cook with them.  They became the proud new parents of parsley, bok choi, basil, and scallions.  I'm sure they will all be very happy together.

This week my share includes:

  • Basil
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Collard Greens
  • Cucumbers
  • Purple Mizuna
  • Scallions

Now you can see why I adopted out last week's basil and scallions!  I have a really fantastic recipe for lime basil cookies that I'm hoping to make this week, so keep a look out for that. 

If you can see in the photo (lots of green meshing together this week), I got a handful of small cucumbers this week.  Listen, I love cucumbers.  I eat them with my lunch every day (along with carrots and red peppers), but there are SO MANY CUCUMBERS IN MY REFRIGERATOR RIGHT NOW!  I'm starting to worry about being able to eat them all before they go bad, which means I have got to start making some things with them instead of just having them raw with salad or hummus.  I'd like to get really adventurous and try pickling them (is that accurate...pickling pickles? It's a little redundant, right?), but I'm not sure if you need to use special cucumbers to make pickles or if any ol' cuke will do.  Any one know the answer?  Watch out Google...there's some stuff I need to know!

I have never heard of mizuna before, but according to Wikipedia it has a "mild, peppery flavor."  Sounds good to me!  Should make for a nice side dish sometime during the week.

Veggie Person of the Week

As I mentioned, Wednesday was my mom's birthday so I decided to honor her in the most flattering way possible - NAMING A VEGGIE PERSON AFTER HER!  Ladies and gentleman, I present my most regal veggie person yet - Linda Lettuce!




          

1 comment:

  1. Mizuna is really similar to arugula. I made quiche with mizuna and cheddar last summer. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete