Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 16 - It's Fall in Boston!

Hey friends!  I am the laziest these days...well actually the busiest, which is why I am so behind on my posts.  I now have 3 recipe pages I need to write up and post (yikes!), which I am planning on getting together tonight and posting throughout the rest of the week.  A little teaser - BBQ sausage, cabbage and cheddar mini calzones, chicken stir-fry and a double recipe post using my yellow onions from last week featuring cheesy beer bread and my go-to low budget soup!

In the meantime, here's my weekly share round-up!

This week my share included:
  • Beets
  • Cilantro
  • Collard Greens
  • Delicata Squash
  • Green Tomatoes
  • Kale
  • Sweet Potato



It's obvious that fall is here with this share!  The squash and sweet potatoes are staples of September and I can't wait to figure out what to make with them.  I wish I had gotten more than one potato since I would have loved to make a sweet potato pie.  Maybe next time!

I am also super excited about the beets since I loved the beet/swiss chard empanadas I made not long ago.  I wish I had chard this week too, but the ReVision Urban Farm manager, Shani, told me that the beet greens would make a perfectly acceptable substitute!

In the early months of the shares there is an emphasis on greens with lots of kale and collards and chard...more than is reasonable for any one person to use.  Seeing the kale and collard in reasonable sized bunches this week was great.  There's enough of both to be able to make something delicious and not having a ton left over, which also means less waste - always a good thing.

I couldn't help but choose  the Delicata Squash for my veggie person this week.  It's colorful and has a really interesting texture that I thought would be a great canvas for a senior citizen veggie person.  I am happy to introduce Doug Delicata Squash!








          

No comments:

Post a Comment